Fifty-five percent of insurance consumers say they would use one or more of a variety of insurance services offered through social media – a number too big to ignore! (Accenture, 2013.) In today’s online world, consumers and business owners go to the internet when considering a purchase of any kind. They usually start with a Google search to learn more about the available alternatives to read user-generated reviews. They often go to Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn before making a buying decision. At each stage of the buying cycle, opinions are being formed about the products and agencies being considered.
For us in insurance – an industry built on both products and services – internet reviews and social media play an integral part in credibility. Potential clients, especially millennials, trust advice they find on social media about the best insurance products, agencies, brokers or carriers.
Here are some ways your company can stay up-to-date with a strong online presence that supports an online community:
- Use the internet to facilitate better communication between brokers and customers.
- Stay in-touch with your clients and their important life events. This will help you provide a more personal and relevant online experience for your clients.
- Use the internet to keep your company modern through current marketing campaigns. This helps to build trust and demonstrates credibility.
- Use social media to introduce new ideas and innovative products. Be sure to use mobile applications too.
- Implement a social media customer service plan. “Consumers that have a positive social care experience are nearly three times more likely to recommend a brand to other and nearly 40 percent of companies experience a 10 percent reduction in support costs from implementing social care, with greater customer satisfaction.” (Accenture, 2013.)
- Use social media as a claims management tool. This allows carriers to interact with customers throughout the claims process and helps to accelerate the recovery process.